BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 1, 2010

Insanity Ensues......................*WARNING,LONG POST!*........

This last week and a half has been quite the adventure to say the least. It all began one dark day in the middle of the night.......

 For my birthday hub's took me out for dinner and a movie (day before actual birthday). We went to a Mexico Lindo for dinner,we shared shredded chicken fajitas and for dessert we had fried ice cream( I was thoroughly unimpressed with the ice cream as the breading tasted stale.)After dinner we went and watched the movie "The Town," which was actually pretty good. While at the movies Laz (hubs) received a call from his parents.They were watching the kids and called to tell us Gabe stepped on a nail. From the sound of everything it didn't sound too serious and he was up and running around. So we decided to finish the last half hour of the movie. After the movie we picked the kid's up and went home.

 We were settling in for bed and all was quiet when I remembered that I forgot to check the windows in the boys room. You see,Troy has this weird tic where he has to open all the windows in his room before he goes to bed. I went to check the windows all were closed but one,the closest one to the older boy's bunk bed. As I shut it I heard some whimpering. Through the dark I made out a small figure shaking. It was Gabriel. I asked him if he was ok and he told me that his foot was really hurting. I decided to take him to the couch and check it out. Now, I looked at it when we first got home and it looked like a scratch. When I looked at it this time I could tell it was a puncture wound and it looked dirty. I decided that since he was in so much pain that I would take him to the ER right then and there. But of course somebody else in the house said I was overreacting and that I didn't need to go.......I won't say who,lol. I ended up giving Gabe some Tylenol and laid with him on the couch.

The next morning I noticed Gabe's foot had swollen up overnight and was quite red. Once I got the other boys off to school I took Gabe into Urgent Care. I am very familiar with celluloses,blood poisoning and flesh eating bacteria and so my mind immediately went there...you know the spot....the one that says "It's the worst case scenario." We spent five hours in Urgent Care.They did X-ray's,cultures and drained the foot. Then we were sent to the hospital for IV antibiotics.

The IV antibiotics were suppose to last just for 2-3 days but because of an allergic reaction to the initial meds and a reoccurring fever he ended up on them for 8 days. He is now on oral antibiotics.

Now this is not a once a day treatment. We had to go to the hospital for three treatments a day,8 hours apart. A few days in they started to let us spend the night. The nurses were wonderful but I was not very happy with the docs. I mean, they were very helpful but nothing I seemed to say had any relevance to them. When Gabe started to develop a rash I could could tell that it was more than hives alone. Gabe has had staph rash twice before and I could tell that this is what was going on now.He still has it by the way....a red sandpaper rash. When I brought this to the doc's attention they both said "nah,hives come in many forms. this isn't staph rash." Well, the cultures came back next to the last day and sure enough one of the bacteria was staph. On Wednesday it was confirmed by two other docs and three nurses that he did indeed have staph rash. Why oh why won't doctors just listen when it matters most? Sorry, that sounded like a blanket statement,I know not all doctors are this way...I'm just venting....and it feel's so good.

This last Tuesday Troy had dental surgery in Salem so after Gabe's morning treatment, I took Troy to Salem for that and Laz had to take Gabe in for his 2:30 treatment. Then after 5 hours in Salem I came home with a groggy boy who was missing a couple teeth and got Gabe ready to go to another treatment. I think that was by far the craziest day.

I can tell you all that from this experience that some people are just not made to be empathetic,helpful or even nice. During this difficult time I consistently had to deal with one person that was downright cruel, shockingly cruel, though I can't go into detail. It's times like these when you really learn who really likes you and who doesn't,lol.

0 comments: